So as you might have heard, the Shadowhunters TV show kicked off a couple of weeks ago and there have been a lot of mixed reviews. The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare is one of my favourite series, mostly because it’s one of the first YA series I read as a teenager, and the stories and the world mean a lot to me, so it’s safe to say I was a little hesitant about the TV show but I’m also a very optimistic person (most of the time) so I did have somewhat high hopes. Now, having watched the first 2 episodes, I feel like I’m able to write my honest thoughts on the adaptation.
1. I think my favourite character in the TV show adaptation has to be Simon. I never thought I’d ever hear myself say that. I like Simon in the books, but in the TV show he’s even more hilarious and I think his character is so well portrayed by Alberto Rosende. After watching the second episode, I fell in love with Alec, too! He’s so grumpy, and snarky, and all holier-than-thou, just like in the books. His eye rolls, relationship with Isabelle, bromance with Jace? All there and all great.
2. The Silent Brothers: I liked how the Silent Brothers were portrayed. There was just the right level of creepiness, it was quite epic. I wasn’t sure how they’d pull off the whole speaking in your mind thing but they managed to. One of the few aspects of the book that is actually captured pretty well.
3. Luke: At first I wasn’t sure how I felt about the changes made to Luke’s character, but after discussing with SheWhoWrites – who pointed out that it was actually a pretty good change, I decided she was right. (Doesn’t mean I don’t miss bookshop owner Luke though).
4. Isabelle and Alec’s relationship: I love Isabelle in the books. I also think that Emeraude Toubia is such a fantastic actress, and I love her portrayal of Isabelle. That being said, I feel like her character could use a little work but I’m sure she’ll grown into it. I think Matt Daddario is a really good Alec, too, as I’ve already mentioned (refer to point 1), but I was happy to see that their sibling relationship is off to a great start, too. I love how Isabelle and Alec always have each other’s backs in the books and glad that’s already coming across in the first couple of episodes.
the Not So Good:
Where do I even start…
1. Clary: okay, book Clary was a tad annoying at times but yeah, TV Clary is worse. I’m not even going to get into this on here but I’ll discuss (rant to) anyone who’s interested. I’m not sure how I feel about Jace’s character either. I don’t think I dislike him as much as I dislike Clary, but there are times when his lines feel awkward and cringey.
2. The Institute: I’m so annoyed at this change. I love the Institute in the book, it has this ancient, majestic-building-that’s-been-left-standing-for-centuries type vibe. The Institute in the TV show looks like somewhere Iron Man would hang out in his spare time. (I love Tony Stark, but really?)
3. The Necklace: If you’ve watched episode 2, you know what I’m talking about. What in the world was that even about? Is it just me who felt like I was watching an episode of That’s So Raven?
4. Some of the lines sounded cringey and awkward. At first I thought it was just me being picky, but I noticed that a lot of others picked up on it, too.
5. Info dumping: The pilot episode revealed too much, and I think those of us who’ve read the books were just as overwhelmed as those who haven’t. My best friend who hasn’t read them seemed to get the gist of what was going on, but barely remembered anyone’s names by the end of it. So, that’s saying something.
6. Romance: ugh. ugh. ugh. Jace and Clary… already? It’s been 2 episodes, seriously. Are we jumping straight in with the hand-holding and lingering looks?
That being said, and being someone who watches a lot of TV shows… I think the show has potential and though it may take time to grow out of the info-dumping, awkward-lines phase, I’m looking forward to watching it develop. Hopefully, Clary will grow less annoying with time. Which I doubt.
Have you watched Shadowhunters? Thoughts?